Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Leave Me Alone And Let Me Work

I'm not going to sit here and say that I've never thought a cashier, waiter or worker was cute at a restaurant that I've dined in BUT I can say that I have never intentionally made them feel uncomfortable or made an intentional inappropriate slur in their expense to their face. So forgive me if I am wrong in saying this but I expect the same amount of common courtesy in return. The amount of middle aged to old men that think it is okay to borderline harass me and the other girls I work with in the work place is ridiculous. It is not okay to suggest marriage, comment on my body or how nice my lips are regardless of how alpha you think you are. The main problem i have is when the comments are made I have no option but to ignore it, I'm at work and can not relatiate confidently without it potentially costing me my job. Whereas if this happened in the street or at a bar you could say how you really feel, throw a drink, hit them with your car or step on their foot; you know, harmless banter yeah?

Over the last few years whilst working in hospitality I have had to deal with people like this every day, the funny thing is it's never men my age (not that that would make it any better) but it's always the older crowd. Why? Probably boredom in their marriages or trying to pretend "they still got it", but who really knows. A few of the worst creepy comments Ive collected include (but are not limited too): 

• "Do you like children? Would you like to go halves in one?" 

• "My heart rate elevates when you enter the room" 

• *looks me up and down* "You have a sporty build, do you work out much?"

• "The only time I'd yell at you would be in the bedroom" 

I'm sorry but no one should have to deal with those unwanted comments at work, whether they be female or male. I hate to have to go on a sexual harassment rant but that's what it is. I'm trying to work, I'm trying to provide YOU a service and it's rather distracting when I'm having comments thrown at me about my physical appearance. 

CUT IT OUT IM OVER IT *SCREAMS*

Hope everyone else is having a good week, 

Stay safe and stand up for yourselves 

Rachel 💋



No comments:

Post a Comment