Thursday, July 28, 2016

Highschool Never Ends

 I did not particularly enjoy high school.

I found it was an endless cycle of hate. I hated people, people hated me, I hated particular classes, I hated particular teachers, I hated wearing uniform, I hated trends and I hated cliques. (just quickly, that much hate is not healthy)

Highschool ended a few years ago now here I am in my adult life and walking around in my adult life I sometimes bump into people from my teenage life. 

How is it normal to have known someone for near on nine years and then completely ignore them on the street? Serve them at your workplace and not say hello or even go to the same social event and shrug them off.... I know small talk is shit, I completely get that BUT pretending someone doesn't exist is a little more than just rude. 

The critically acclaimed poet from the 17th century "Bowling for soup" stated that: 
"Four years you think for sure

That's all you've got to endure
All the total dicks
All the stuck up chicks
So superficial, so immature
Then when you graduate
You take a look around and you say HEY WAIT
This is the same as where I just came from
I thought it was over
Aw that's just great" 

When you think about it adult life is just an extension of high school. There will always be gossip and there will always be cliques, people you disagree with and "teachers" who will never treat you with a profound respect. The difference between highschool and adult life, or so I've found in myself is I've learnt how to deal with the negativity better, I've learnt where and whom I should invest my time and energy and instead of having to learn from the "teachers", I now choose what information to retain from the "preachers". That's probably my favourite thing I've learnt in adulthood. You don't have to take anyone's advice. You choose what you want to give and what you want to take. 

Next time you see someone from highschool, regardless of if you where best buddies or not, why not smile and say a quick hello. I promise it won't hurt. 

Stay fabulous. 

Rachel 💋




1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed reading this and have similar feelings. I'm naturally quite anxious and I get defensive when I put myself out there and get ignored. I think we all hate rejection in that sense. The way I see it is when someone recognises me and goes to the effort to say so, it can honestly make my day... Why not do the same for others... Being sincere is also important to me. If you don't like the person, I don't believe it's fair to act as though you do... Depends on the individual situation, but this has got me thinking and I thank you for the challenge. Xx Charlotte

    ReplyDelete